Thursday, August 27, 2009

Thrift Store Finds

So, I love thrift stores. LOVE them. Where else can you get things so cheap? Plus, so many of them donate proceeds to charity; you can't go wrong!

I've been wanting to go thrifting for a while since I got the notion that I can buy things, and then unravel them for the yarn! Not exactly novel, but a bit of an epiphany here. I ended up getting a blanket for $3 and a sweater for $6.

Now, the blanket looked to be hand-knitted. I felt sort of bad unravelling another knitter's hard work, but the fact that they will never know comforted me somewhat. Related: what kind of asshole throws away a hand-knit baby blanket? I think it was relatively recent, too; the yarn (as per my burn test) was 100% cotton, and had two uneven plies. All signs point to recent. If it were older, I think it would have been acrylic and the plies would not have been so uneven. Uneven ply is more of a modern taste, right? Anyway, I did take a few pictures of it before the unravelling, but they're on Boyfriend's camera, so I can't get to them now. But, I do have some photos of the yarn I got. There's a photo of the whole haul on the right, there. For the sake of brevity, I won't post all the photos I took of the separate colors. I didn't manage to get a good picture of the ply, either, but it looks a lot like photo below:

The resemblance is so uncanny, even down to color, that I think this might be the yarn itself. It's called "Fiddle De Dee." I'll have to ask a Rav member how fuzzy it is. Might be the last piece of the puzzle. The bigger ply of this stuff is super fuzzy when you take it apart.

My other find was a green cardigan for $6. I haven't taken it apart yet, and to tell the truth, I'm sort of afraid to. It's from something called Oui Designer collection, and the yarn is 45% angora, 40% lambswool and 15% nylon/polyamid. Pretty nice, huh? A photo of the whole sweater on the right, there. It's fuzzy (as can be expected of angora), but there's still stitch definition and good seams. This will be my first try ripping a sweater when I get the ovaries to do it.

I haven't been working on my socks, I lost the yen to, I guess. Also, I'm getting hardcore laddering, which is disturbing. I didn't get them my first time on DPNs and my first socks, so why now? I really should pick a project and just get the mojo back.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey you! Yeah you! Speak up!