Saturday, August 29, 2009

Fetching

So, Flamingo Swing is currently on a bit of a hiatus. I think I needed to make something with good old fashioned worsted weight to get back into the swing of things. I tell you, I don't see how lace knitters use laceweight all the time. It would drive me bonkers. So, I've started a pair of Fetching. I know, I know, everyone and their cat has knit it, but I finally found a use for fingerless gloves; when I go back to school, (which, when I put it that way, sounds like a long way off, but it's really Monday), I'll be in the computer lab at least some part of the day, taking notes in some part of the day, and fumbling with my iPod the rest of it. All activities that require more dexterity than mittens provide. So, a pair of fingerless mitts it is. Looking through the project pages, most of them looked too chunky, even those knit in a DK weight. Fetching looked appropriately delicate, though. See, I have small hands and skinny wrists. I didn't want something giant and chunky, because that just doesn't work for me. So I decided on Fetching even though I hate to go with what everyone else has knit already. You know, sometimes things are popular for a reason. Also, the cabling should look nice with the Dean Street hat and mittens I've done already.

The write up on Knitty made me laugh a little, though. And I quote: "If you have never tried knitting cables before, this would be an excellent project to start with. The cable pattern is simple, and if you make a mistake and end up having to rip out some rows, it shouldn't take you long to catch up." Seems reasonable, until you realize that this pattern is in the round. It's like, hey, if 4 needles aren't enough for you, try 5! It's been a bit of a pisser with all that, but I have found a decent way to do it. See, the Yarnstorming people (a group who send out yarn and whatnot to those who can't really afford it) sent me three DPNs. First, only three. Second, I have no clue what size they are because I don't own a gauge. (Not that I'm not super grateful for their generosity, don't get me wrong.) So, I'm knitting Fetching on three DPNs of unknown size and one size six circular that I'm using as a fourth DPN. Who knows if they'll fit, because as we all know:

The neat thing about this arrangement, though, is that I can use the other end of the circular as a cabling needle. It makes things a bit easier, but I still maintain that cabling in the round is a giant pain in the ass and any first time cabler attempting it might be scared off forever.

The yarn I'm using is Ella Rae Classic Superwash. It's a nice, moderately soft, moderately plied worsted weight. I've already made a hat and mittens with it, so I suppose everything will coordinate. The important thing here is superwash, though. The minute I proudly don these mitts is also the day I decide to get coffee. And we all know what happens with coffee; it loves to spill. Add this to the fact that I have the dexterity and grace of a drunken toddler, and superwash becomes deathly important.

In other news, I've downloaded the first season of Star Trek: Voyager, and watched the first two episodes last night. I missed Trek the first time around, but it ain't gonna happen again! I like the crew of this one, (save that tart, Seven of Nine. Not that it's her fault, you know, being FANSERVICE and all) so it oughta be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey you! Yeah you! Speak up!