Sunday, October 25, 2009

Finished! And New Yarn!

HI. I'm a little jazzed today because there are some good things going on in my knitterly world.

First, I finished my hat! And I absolutely adore it. I've made a lot of things (relatively; 25ish projects in less than a year of knitting) and I don't think I've loved anything quite as much as I love this hat. It's something I will actually wear, and it doesn't look especially homemade, at least I don't think. There's a picture on the right. Sorry about the longness, but I wanted to get the super-awesome tassels in, too. And yeah, there's an un-weaved in end there, but that's been remedied by now. I would get a modelled shot, but the model would have to be camera-shy me. Plus I have a giant zit right now, so it was more work than it was worth. Maybe someday. So, I learned a few things in the course of this project. First, and most obviously, colorwork. Up until this project, I had never done any, not even stripes. So I dived into the pool all at once, so to say. And I am so damn glad I did, because it was fun. Second would be English knitting. I did the two handed method, and my right hand was noticeably better by the end of the chart. Which brings us to: chart reading. This was my first project with a chart. It was a lot easier than the other charts I've seen, mostly because it was colors, I think. There were no weird symbols involved, no slanty lines. I've never been a visual learner, really. I also made tassels for the first time. They aren't perfect, but they're nice enough. It took two times to get these, and I think they're good enough. And last, pompoms! I wasn't sure if I wanted to put one on top (thought it might be too cutesy) but the top was wonky and it would cover the hole that you always get. Plus, a friend of mine said, quote, "That hat is screaming for a pompom." So I decided to stick it on there. I didn't do it the "right" way because I am too lazy to cut out cardboard circles. I wrapped the yarn around 3 fingers and did it that way. Simple. I modded the top decreases: Did two rows of decreases in a row, then a knit row, and on until I hit 28 stitches. Then I k2tog for two rounds. Simply put:

*k14, k2tog* around
*k13, k2tog* around
Knit
*k12, k2tog* around
*k11, k2tog* around
Knit

And so on, until you have 28 stitches left, and then do two rounds of k2tog.

My little brother, age 17, pronounced that the pompom made the hat sexy and that he would be a sex machine if he had one like it. He offered to buy it off of me (how strange!) and I told him I'd knit him one. Why he didn't just ask I will never know. So yeah, the hat is done, and I adore it. Both little brothers and my mother want one like it now. Usually I'd refuse, but I really liked knitting it, so I will. I also know that they would all walk around exclaiming about how their sister/daughter knitted it and isn't it cool, so I'll do it, surely. Kevin (little brother numero uno, seventeen years, eighteen in February) wants it in garish and clashing colors and a sparkly pink pompom. Silly boy. Chris (little brother numero dos, sixteen years) wants an orange one with black snowflakes. It's going to be Halloween all year, I guess. Mom hasn't decided on a color, so I'll probably just use some half-skeins I have lying around for her.

Okay, so now I've effectively written a damned novel on a hat, we'll move on. Went with the Little Brothers, the Boyfriend and the Uncle to the city yesterday. Uncle Cal and us have a long standing tradition of going to the city or somewhere else and have a little shopping spree. Uncle Cal isn't married, and has no kids, so he likes to spoil us a little sometimes. He is really awesome, both as a uncle and as a person, so we all absolutely adore spending time with him. Anywho, so we were on South Street, as is our wont, and of course I had to stop at a yarn shop. Loop would have been my preference, but it's very out of the way from the main of South Street, and I wasn't about to have everyone trudge down the street for 30-45 minutes in the rain. So we went to Nangellini. Don't get me wrong, I like Nangellini, I just sort of wanted to get a workhorse yarn, and Loop is better at "normal" yarns in solid colors. But I wasn't about to let that stop me. I got three skeins/hanks/thingies of yarn. First was a skein of Frabjous Fibers recycled sari silk. This is not normally the kind of yarn that I would purchase, but Uncle Cal was very intrigued by both the idea and the execution. He really liked the fact that it was spun by a woman's cooperative. Did I mention that he's a bit of a hippie? So, he heartily approved the splurge it was. The color is just beautiful. I can't really capture it with the camera. It's very saturated and just extremely beautiful. The second was a hank of fingering weight merino. It's from Kraemer yarns, in a 450 yard put up. The label just says "Superwash Merino Wool," so I think it's their Lesley yarn, as opposed to Jeannie. The 450 yard put up seems to be unusual, though. It's from their undeyed collection, and I'm looking forward to trying my hand and Kool-Aid dyeing. It's lovely and soft. And last, I picked up some Noro Kureyon. I know it's sort of a yarn du jour, well trodden path, etc. But a lot of times, things are popular for a reason. I know to expect that it's scratchy, but the color is just so lovely. I got colorway 40, "aqua teal." I'm thinking of using it in some colorwork with a solid. It will both look lovely and stretch the one skein farther. It is, in a word, gorgeous. I love the color. Mix it with a white or a black, maybe? It would look lovely against a neutral like that.

Oh, and my Aunt Grace gave me some of her old needles. They're all straight needles, and seem to be 14 inchers. 9 pairs of bamboo, different sizes, and two pair of metal ones. They're certainly more than a few years old but should serve me well.

*ahem* So, as you can see, there's been a lot of knitterly activity here. Or, maybe not a lot of activity, but there's sure as hell a lot of enthusiasm. I've also been listening to Florence + The Machine on repeat since last night, and am enjoying the crap out of it. If you got this far, congradu-freaking-lations, and thanks. I don't think I would read my own verbal diarrhea if I were someone else. Sometimes I just get a little over enthusiastic.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Cat! Thanks for stopping by my blog and participating in my giveaway. That hat is amazing and you are brave to have jumped right in and learned all those new skills. I'm inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really loved this post - very engaging and humorous! ^_^ The hat totally rocks!

    -- EdaMommy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, goldenbird and EdaMommy! I'm glad I've inspired some people, anyway. =)

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete

Hey you! Yeah you! Speak up!