Monday, August 24, 2009

Wisp and Sock the Second


So, right now I'm working on my first lace project, a Wisp for my friend's mother, Mrs. F. It's looking alright. A shitty picture for your perusal on the left. Yeah, I'm too lazy to go outside and take a nice one. Probably a bad way to start a blog, right? I'm sure that I'll do better from now on. I've christened this project Lucy Snowe because I've recently finished Villette by Charlotte Brontë and have been thinking it over. What a depressing book, right? After poor Lucy finally finds love, her love SPOILER drowns at sea. I mean, how sad is that? I also loved the book for it's look into a woman's role at the time. It reminded me a little bit of Jane Eyre, understandably, but infinitely more depressing. At least Jane finally marries and finds happiness. Lucy is alone. But, I suppose you could make an argument that she finally discovers her own self worth, which brings its own kind of happiness. For a woman of the time, though, spinsterhood seems like an awful fate. Anyway, the pink of this mohair (why yes, PINK MOHAIR; it's Louet Kid Mohair, a 70% mohair 30% nylon blend) reminds me of Lucy's pink dress that she wears to the theatre. I'm finding the knitting easy, mostly, but also annoying. My needles aren't too pointy and it's a pain in the ass with the laceweight. I'm also ending up with 44 stitches instead of 46, but I'm too lazy to rip back. If it wants to be 44, it'll be 44 then.

My second project on the needles is a pair of screaming pink socks, affectionately named the Flomit socks. Flomit=flamingo vomit. My little brother helpfully suggested that a flamingo's vomit would be more of an orange color, but I like my portmanteau too much to change it now. It's hardly sophistictated, but we don't need to be so stately and dignified all the time, do we? Check out this pink action ---------->
Hot, right? The pattern is Tidepool Socks by Mary-Heather Cogar and the yarn is Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock in the Flamingo colorway. By the way, I adore Lorna's Laces. I knit my only other pair of socks with it, and god it is great. Makes a comfortable sock with beautiful colorways. Some people say it's not stretchy enough, but I learned on cotton dishcloths. Stretchy enough for me!

So, that's what's on the needles right now. What are you knitting, reading, eating, verbing at the moment?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey you! Yeah you! Speak up!